Re: How to automatically mount?

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 11:02 -0500, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got an iAudio X5 (awesome player, return your iPods...;).  Its a UMD,
> so when I plug it in, the following entry automagically appears in
> my /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/sdb1   /media/IAUDIO   vfat
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,iocharset=utf8,managed 0 0
>
> The problem is that only root can mount it, and furthermore, when root
> mounts it, root owns it and thus whoever I'm logged in as can't write to
> it.
>
> Whats even more weird is that if I edit that fstab entry to have the 'users'
> options, I still can't mount it as a normal user.
>
> Anyways, what I want is for the device to automatically be mounted when its
> plugged in and I want the owner to be whoever is logged into KDE at the
> moment.  Is that possible or too much to ask?
>
> Thank you very much for the help.

Chris,

I don't know answer to your question but the player seems very
attractive! Thank you for mentioning it :)

Also, one useful thing about mount is that you can use -o
uid=<userid>,gid=<groupid> options, so that even if it is mounted by
root, it will be owned by <userid> you specified.

Thanks,
Adil