Re: Is it worth installing FC4?

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 11:57:04 -0400
Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I keep my laptop plugged into the AC adapter. Waiting for the computer
> to shutdown or powerup is not a problem for me. I'll wait for FC5 to try
> out suspending with acpi.

I've got a bug report filed against FC3 on the Intel video / suspend
issue, I was curious about whether the issues had been resolved on FC4.
Unfortunately, the only machine I have with Intel video is my main work
machine - which I can't mess with in the middle of classes. :)

> For the laptop, it has a radeon driver.

I've had success with ACPI suspend/resume under FC3 on a Radeon-based
laptop.  Good to know that FC4 will *probably* work well there (it's my
wife's machine, but she doesn't really use the 3D support much).  That
laptop's old enough (Thinkpad X22) that its Radeon is fully supported by
the xorg drivers.

> Sorry, I was refering to the hovering mouse around menu items to get
> them to show up at all and the missing elements with the version of that
>  cae out on the FC3 install discs or DVD. I usually can get 75 or 85 hz
> refresh rates, depending on my selected video resolution.

Ahh.  I didn't buy this laptop until there had been some
updates out for FC3's xorg already - so I might not have ever seen that
bug in my daily use.  First thing I did after installing this machine was
to install then-current updates, because without them the wireless
(ipw2200) drivers weren't available.

Now that you mention it, there WERE some graphics glitches during the
installation of FC3 itself, but I didn't have the original FC3 xorg
packages around for very long.

> Overall, I can see why you would choose to hold back on making an
> upgrade. With the acpi suspend that you fought to get working for your
> present installation, it seems more wrk tha just replacing a single
> file.

Hopefully by the time the fall semester rolls around, there will be some
good success stories from laptop owners that have Intel video like mine.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/