Re: Systematic Upgrade from Fedora 1 -> 4

Tyler Nally wrote:

> Because I don't have access to CD-ROM drive.
> I only access it through the 'net.  And Fedora 1
> is currently installed.

I figure that if all I have to do is change a setting
somewhere so that YUM/Up2date will look to a different
Fedora Core Version Source... and keep re-loading headers
and keep updating them... (and repeating the steps as
needed) then, eventually, I'll end up with the equivalent
of a Fedora Core 4 machine.

But, what I'm not understanding is how YUM looks into
the right path to get the updates when I see the following
entries in /etc/yum.conf ....

[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/

... where does $releasever and $basearch get their values?

Tyler