Re: How to Install Xfce on FC4?

Basil Copeland wrote:

try
yum install "xfce*"

It is working for me to pull in xfce and the related programs.

Jim

Install 22 Package(s)
Update 0 Package(s)
Remove 0 Package(s)
Total download size: 8.2 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
(1/22): xfce-mcs-plugins- 100% |=========================| 415 kB 00:02

If you go back and look at my first message, that's the first thing I
did. But I didn't get the same result. I got the error:

I missed that portion of your posting before commenting. After re-reading your post, I saw your command, which did not use quotes in the entry.
I am fairly new to yum. I did have problems with entering package* compared to quoting like "package*". The problem that I had was it tried to pull packages and files within the directory where the command was given. I later adopted quoting the wildcard included commands.

I don't know if
yum install package*
differs in operation with
yum install "package*"
or not. There may not be any different actions taken either way.

"xfce-mcs-manager = 4.2.1-3.fc4 is needed by package
xfce-mcs-manager-devel".

I have xfce-mcs-manager-devel-4.2.2-1.fc4 installed

I couldn't get past this until Idid  "yum install
xfce-mcs-manager-devel".  That pulled in a couple of dependencies, and
then "yum install xfce*" found 17 packages. (versus your 22).  But
when it went to install them, I kept getting errors about packages
being unsigned.

So, what did you do differently to overcome the problem with the
unsigned packages?

I've reported this to bugzilla, and we've already got a dialog going
about a larger problem: "yum install xfce*" -- even when it works --
isn't going to get everything because some of the pieces of a complete
xfce install do not have "xfce" in their name or a dependency to
something with "xfce" in the name (xffm is one that doesn't get pulled
in by yum).

I noted that xffm was missing after querying rpm after this posting mentioning the program.

yum install xffm imports dbh also.

I have a system that was a fresh install of FC4T3 which I switched over to FC4 after reading someone having rpm (the program) errors. The problem might be due to a backwards shift in packages that is not complete. This is a guess, but both installed.
Running Transaction
Installing: xffm ######################### [2/2]

Installed: xffm.i386 0:4.2.2-1.fc4
Dependency Installed: dbh.i386 1:1.0.24-1.fc4
Complete!

Jim