Re: VOIP with a linksys PAP2

Tony Nelson wrote:
At 6:49 PM +0100 6/14/05, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:

On 6/14/05, Tony Nelson <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

on reboot I got messages about 100% packet loss.

From where? The PAP2? Linux?

pardon, from eth1, which the hub is plugged into.

OK.

It sounds like your upstream setup is configured to allow only one computer
at a time?

I've previously looked into the setup you describe, and the problem
isn't with the router but with the asus adapter, I believe.

From that error it still sounds like your upstream setup is configred to
allow only one computer at a time; whether it is the Landlord's router or
the Asus wireless adapter doing it doesn't matter much.  Until you can get
the PAP2 phone thingy to work on your Internet connection without your
Linux box involved I don't think Linux futzing will help you.

Did you power cycle the wl-330g before plugging the PAP2 into it? And you realized that in order to plug the PAP2 directly into the wl-330g you'll need a crossover ethernet cable....

When your wl-330g wireless access point gets power cycled, it should renegotiate everything with its wireless internet connection, hopefully allowing a new MAC address (in this case the MAC address of the PAP2 instead of the computer ethernet card) to be recognized and a new IP address to be allocated via DHCP (the same mechanism that makes your eth0 card work). The only other choice would be to power cycle the wireless internet connection, but I fear that you don't have access to that and all the other users of it may be annoyed if you do.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx