Re: VOIP with a linksys PAP2

THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
On 6/14/05, Tony Nelson <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

No, what he said was clear to me.  He knows both interfaces work because
he's tried each of them in turn.  Of course, when he did that, each one was
automatically configured by DHCP in his router, and the other one would
have been unconfigured.

For his setup to work, he needs to either run a DHCP server on the
downstream i/f (usually his eth1) or set up that i/f with a static IP (or
probably both so his 'phone thing gets an address).

Or he could put the hub between his upstream i/f and the router, and put
the 'phone on the hub, but he doesn't want to do that.

heh, glad I made sense to at least one person ;)

OK, I misunderstood. I was assuming that both ethernet cards were capable of working, but only after being configured! You have to ensure that they get configured properly. The DHCP from your internet connection is configuring eth0 (because system-config-network has configured eth0 to use DHCP). You still need to do something to configure eth1 so it will work correctly.

I turned everything off, plugged things in like so:

internet-->router-->wireless-->asus network adapter-->hub

hub-->PAP2-->telephone

hub-->eth0

on reboot I got messages about 100% packet loss.  I'm looking over
/var/log/messages and dmesg, can't find those error messages.  anyhow,
as I understand there's a problem with MAC address's which prevents
that setup.  (ultimately, this'd be nice, for now I'm just looking for
a phone.)

Yes, unfortunately, DHCP is most easily set up to allocate an IP address to a single network interface (each network interface has a unique MAC address). If it has allocated an address (to your PAP2?) it won't allocate one to your computer. I have the same problem with my cable modem. I got around that by power cycling my cable modem between different connections.

I need a DHCP router on the downstream, meaning between eth0 and eth1
to provide the masquerading?

No, you need to run a DCHP server (software daemon) on your computer (and it should allocate IP addresses to devices attached to the network via eth1) in order for your PAP2 to be configured correctly. You also need to setup eth1! If you do it right, you can add this to your DHCP configuration as well, though its probably easiest to just use a static private network address (in the same subnet as your DHCP server so everything on eth1 is in the same subnet). In addition, if you set up eth1 as a different network than eth0 (recommended), then you need to masquerade (ie, NAT) the eth1 network to the eth0 network. This is in addition to the IP forwarding you need to do between the 2 networks. This will make your computer into a (NAT) router between the 2 networks. In that case, the packets from your PAP2 telephones will be routed to your computer, which will then take them from eth1, masqerade them, and send them out on eth0 as if the originated on your computer. When the return packets come back from the internet, they will go to eth0, be recognized by the masquerading software as intended for your PAP2, un-masquerade them, and send them back to the PAP2 which will convert them back into telephony.

[I have a question for the community in general: Will he be able to NAT between eth0 and eth1 and then have his wireless network NAT *that* to the internet? ie, does nested NATing work? I've not ever tried it.]

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx