Re: Wireless suggestion - tired of madwifi

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 10:45, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
> Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 08:50:51 -0400
> > "Scot L. Harris" <webid@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> I spent a couple of weeks trying to get the Centrino 2200BG wireless
> >> chip set to work in a Toshiba Tecra M2.
> >
> > Funny, that.  The Centrino 2200BG wireless in my JVC MiniNote worked
> > almost "out of the box" with recent FC3 kernels.  All I had to do was to
> > install the firmware files for the ipw2200 driver.
>
> Same here.  I have an internal Intel 2915ABG (which is the 'upgrade' to the
> 2200BG) and it works out of the box with updated FC3 kernels (granted I
> have the firmware installed).  Actually...I just did a search, and I don't
> have the firmware installed...and it still works...=)
>
> -- C

That is why I spent so much time trying to make it work.  The problem
was that it was able to see the AP but was unable to make a connection.
I was able to run iwlist scan and see my AP as well as the neighbors.
But when I tried to activate the interface it would not connect.  So the
firmware and drivers appeared to be installed and work up to a point but
not complete the connection.

I also tried using Networkmanager.  That actually worked for awhile but
was not consistent.  Sometimes it would connect other times it would
not.  At the time it seemed that Networkmanager was part of the
problem.  I should have been able to get a connection without
Networkmanager but was unable to for some reason.

Now with the Netgear WG511 I am able to setup a connection using the
normal network tools without using Networkmanager.

So far it has been very stable and works just fine.  About the only
complaint is that due to startup order I have to manually ifup the
interface once the system is booted.  But then that has been a problem
for awhile.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

A kid'll eat the middle of an Oreo, eventually.