Re: Wireless suggestion - tired of madwifi

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 21:14 -0400, Bill Johnson wrote:
> I recently posted about problems I was having with Madwifi.  It was a
> horrible struggle to set it up under FC1, and now I'm going nuts again
> after installing FC3.  I am not particularly happy with an 802.11A
> network anyway.  My working distance from the access point is only a few
> feet.
>
> So, I'm thinking of canning the current setup and going to an 802.11B or
> G setup.
>
> My question for the list - is there a PCMCIA 802.11B or G card that will
> work with Fedora Core RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX?  In other words, I want to
> just plug it in and configure it using the built in network
> configuration tools of fedora, with out having to compile or make or any
> other such stuff.  I used to enjoy that stuff, and actually make my
> living doing it, but just simply don't have time for it right now.  I
> need a working laptop now.
>
> Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
>
> Bill

Hey Bill,

Taking a peak in /lib/modules/<version>/kernel/drivers/net/wireless....

It looks like cards based on Cisco Aironet (airo) and Prism II (orinoco)
are supported out of the box....  There also appear to be some files
related to supporting Intel Centrino stuff too....

Take a look at running modinfo against each of the .ko files you find in
there.....

Hope that helps....

--Rob