Re: OS recommendations/Aging software issues

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 10:02 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 09:05, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> > Just my opinion, but I would tend to go with the newest I could get my
> > hands on. I had a similar experience with a company that was a
> > collection agency. They were still running RHL 7.3 and wanted to know
> > why their system wasn't supported anymore. They, via their primary
> > consultant, were also afraid to upgrade to a newer version because of an
> > irrational fear things wouldn't work - despite having an updated system
> > with their critical software applications running on it demonstrated to
> > them. They actually came in and rolled back to RHL 7.3 after completing
> > an upgrade because of this fear and then tried to say I didn't do
> > anything for them. <sheesh...!>
>
> First, you should be aware that you can still get updates for RH7.3 and
> RH9 from the repositories at http://fedoralegacy.org/, although I
> don't think it is anyone's highest priority to keep them current.

I have been aware of this since it started. The issue in this case was,
as you mentioned, that updates for RHL 7.3 are not a priority compared
to other things and they were cracked once due to an un-patched
vulnerability.

Also, in this case, the required applications worked flawlessly on
Fedora Core 3. They just didn't want to believe / trust it and opted to
return to an un-patched RHL system with the same overall configuration
as had been cracked before. Kind of a "devil you know vs. devil you
don't" mentality.

Cheers,

Chris

--