Re: Tape backup software recommendations

On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 08:14, Gérard Milmeister wrote:
> I am looking for backup software for DDS tapes. Apart from tar, star,
> cpio and their relatives I found taper (taper.sourceforge.net), which
> seems perfect for my needs (single system backup). However this software
> hasn't had an update for over 2 years, and since it uses a non-standard
> (i.e., non-tar, non-cpio) format for its backup, it is uncertain that
> backups will be retrievable in the mid to far future. Suggestions for
> current solutions similar to taper would be welcome.

First, whenever anyone mentions backups I have to recommend backuppc
from http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/ because it is different from
most and does a great job.  However, while it has the ability to
archive a machine off to tape it is really intended to keep
online copies which are much easier to access.

Bacula (http://www.bacula.org/) might be a good up to date choice
but I haven't tried it.  I've had amanda running virtually
unattended for many years.  It is somewhat cumbersome to set up
but then all you ever have to do is change the tapes and it
will save to disk if you forget that.  It uses native dump or
tape for the storage and includes instructions to access the
data with the native tool if necessary, but keeps and index of
the contents to make a restore easier if the index is still
available when you need it.  It's one weakness is that it will
not split a single filesystem across multiple tapes, although
it is very good at the reverse, grouping many hosts and filesystems
onto the same tape and adjusting the mix of full and incremental
runs for the best fit.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx