Tape backup software recommendations

I am looking for backup software for DDS tapes. Apart from tar, star,
cpio and their relatives I found taper (taper.sourceforge.net), which
seems perfect for my needs (single system backup). However this software
hasn't had an update for over 2 years, and since it uses a non-standard
(i.e., non-tar, non-cpio) format for its backup, it is uncertain that
backups will be retrievable in the mid to far future. Suggestions for
current solutions similar to taper would be welcome.
--
Gérard Milmeister
Langackerstrasse 49