Core 3 install on sata 8237 disks fails

Hi
I have just tried to install fedora core 3 64 bit on a system with via sata 8237 chipset and sata disk, and it failes 4 times. I installed an alternative IDE disk and it worked fine.

After installation from bootable DVD to the sata disk, a reboot fails to start the secondary install procedures (licence agrrement, date/time, video setup, user setup etc. The sata install just hangs at this point after the very first line in boot messages:
Initializing hardware - storage network audio >>> hang
a control c gets past this, but then the disk system is read only and the boot fails.

I see there was some discussion of this back in January 2004 on core 1 and core 2 - but there still seems to be an issue with installation onto a sata disk on an 8237 controller.

Have I missed something??
Thanks   Kingsley burlinson