Re: up2date in enterprise environment?

William Hooper wrote:
Gerald wrote:

I have an environment with 40 servers. Whats the best way to roll out O/S
and software upgrades with these requirements?

1. systems lack internet access.
2. would prefer that generally all systems maintain the same O/S and
software levels.

Both would be taken care of by using a local yum repo.

My personal favourite (and this assumes that the box with Internet access has good Internet access) is to configure an Apache virtual host, maybe redhat.example.com, that proxies a convenient external mirror.

Then, you install from redhat.example.com. The first time you install (update), the relevant files are picked up from the mirror.

Subsequent installs (updates) get their files directly from redhat.example.com at the speed of your internal network. Of course, if a subsequent install (update) pulls a new file, there's a delay while redhat.example.com gets it, but once loaded it's there as long as you want it.

Overall, this is quicker than downloading stuff to create your own repository because you don't fetch stuff you don't want.

You can also use redhat.example.com and your boot server and kickstart server.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait