Re: ssh problem

On 5/23/05, Claude Jones <claude_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Since the early hours of this morning an ssh connection to my office computer
> has stopped functioning.
>
> Looking up ***.249.226.25
> Trying***.249.226.25:21
> Trying ***.249.226.25:21
> ..... long list of these tries
>
> For the sake of not advertising a target, I put the asterisks in; I'm not sure
> what to do, or where to begin. This seemed to occur after an update last
> night of ssh - I suppose that's a natural place to look, but what to look
> for? If I look at my firewall rules allowing ssh, the properties page shows
> ssh allowed on port 22 - the above connection seems to be attempting on port
> 21 - is this my problem? If not, can anyone suggest troubleshooting avenues?

I would start with some general network troubleshooting. Can you ping
the machine? If you specify a port in your ssh command (-p option)
does it behave differently? If you can ssh somewhere else first and
try to connect from there, you'll also get more clues.

It sounds a little bit like something is forcing a connection on port
21 rather than 22. And if your client is displaying that number, it's
probably happening on the client side (although I admit I'm only
guessing, and there could well be something specific going on that
I've never seen).