ssh problem

Since the early hours of this morning an ssh connection to my office computer
has stopped functioning.

Looking up ***.249.226.25
Trying***.249.226.25:21
Trying ***.249.226.25:21
..... long list of these tries

For the sake of not advertising a target, I put the asterisks in; I'm not sure
what to do, or where to begin. This seemed to occur after an update last
night of ssh - I suppose that's a natural place to look, but what to look
for? If I look at my firewall rules allowing ssh, the properties page shows
ssh allowed on port 22 - the above connection seems to be attempting on port
21 - is this my problem? If not, can anyone suggest troubleshooting avenues?
By the way, my firewall program is FWBuilder, and when it compiles and
installs its scripts, it connects to my firewall using ssh - now, this is all
being done right on the firewall itself, but I tried a compile/install just
now, and the log showed a successfull local connection - I believe the way my
rules work is that all loop-backs are permitted, so if I'm correct, this
would tell me that ssh itself is working... If I've got this all wrong, I
wouldn't be surprised. Suggestions?
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA