Re: Running shell scipts from GNOME

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 03:21 +0200, Mostafa Z. Afgani wrote:

> Ian Puleston wrote:
> > Thanks, but "Ask Each Time" is already selected. Just to be clear, the
> > problem is not that I do or don't want it to run in a terminal window -
> > the problem is that it should be running in a terminal window but
> > instead just times out displaying the hour-glass (with the error message
> > on the console).
>
> Well .. it works for me .. (opens a terminal and waits for 'Enter'). You
> must have some config issue somewhere ..
>
> When you double click, does it give you the options (to run in a
> terminal / run / display)?
>
> - -M

Nope - I get nothing back, just the spinning hourglass. If I right-click
and select Open with EMACS that works OK. However, after a little bit of
playing with it:

1. If the file has a ".sh" extension or begins with the line "#!/bin/sh
-f" then Nautilus recognizes it as a shell script and changes the icon
to 3 cog wheels. Then if I double-click it I just get the hourglass.

2. If I rename the file to remove the ".sh" extension and delete that
first line, then the icon changes to the one for a plain text file. Then
if I double-click it I get the run or display dialog, and if I select
Run in Terminal it works OK.

I took a look in Bugzilla and don't see anything obvious for this. I
guess I should submit one.

Ian