Re: Please: need help making a live FC3 CD

El sáb, 21-05-2005 a las 10:04 -0700, Antonio Olivares escribió:
> --- Thomas Cameron <thomas.cameron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 10:23 -0500, Gustavo Seabra
> > wrote:
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > I'd appreciate some help on the subject. Here's
> > exactly what I need:
> > >
> > > I want to make a live CD that will give me exactly
> > the same OpenOffice.org
> > > configuration I have now. Also, the USB
> > attachments and the USB remote
> > > I have, that work fine with FC3 now, should work
> > from this CD.
> > >
> > > The idea is to have a Live CD that I can use to
> > make a presentation using
> > > OO.o Impress. I can prepare the presentation on my
> > FC3 machine, and
> > > make sure it will work fine anywhere I go.
> > >
> > > (P.S. I have tried Knoppix, but the presentation
> > gets all weird, with strange
> > > fonts. I don't know why.)

Neither do I, but I suspect that it would be important to consider
whether you did your work under the Gnome desktop (default in FC) or a
KDE desktop instead...,this one shouldn't be to do, but in fact I'm
afraid it would.
I'd "suffered" myself from incompatibility problems between Koffice
(Kword) and OpenOffice in the past, never heard about that between OO
and itself when is shipped in different distros... but sadly I believe
you...it is more than feasible... sounds like a madness, but even
OO_Calc (spreadsheet) opens with strange characters a -spreadsheet too-
Gnumeric file! (and not vice versa...in my case).
IMHO and paradoxically people involved in many important projects are
too much worried about focusing compatibilities with Microsoft
equivalent products, I can understand that..., but forget this when
dealing with "parallel" Open Source software. It is good to growing the
number of new users up for a -let's say- "x" software (and model of
software) making things easier while switching or simply they are trying
on.., but...but...8>< ......

If you are looking for a genuine Fedora LiveCD, which would be normal
after all, since all distributions have its own one..., Debian-Ubuntu
based (maybe they are over the million yet...), Suse, Mandriva,
Slackware, Gentoo, ... even BSD!, AFAIK you won't be able to find it.
Don't ask me why, I don't know.

If you are trying to make by yourself a customized LiveCD based on FC3,
and need a guide, sorry but I didn't find it either; things related but
not the same could be:

http://www.morphix.net
It is based on Debian, you can add packages and customize at your taste,
they explain step by step how to..; also, for example, here:
http://www.math.concordia.ab.ca/docs/custom-morphix.php

You can also get a pre-built customized Morphix LiveCD, 4 flavours:
http://www.morphix.org/index.php?
option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=3&id=77&Itemid=84

http://www.morphix.org/index.php?
option=com_content&task=view&id=50&Itemid=84

Advantages (for me): It is _really_ based on the Gnome Desktop, it comes
with Abi, Gnumeric, etc... also ships the OpenOffice package.

Another links upon how to they did it:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/LiveCDCustomizationHowTo
Customization of Ubuntu in this case, a kind of Debian Sarge, but the
LiveCD it is based on KDE!

The best link I know about customization, I'm afraid it won't help you
if you don't understand Spanish, is here:
http://metadistros.hispalinux.org/
They talk about 4 ways to obtain a customized distro depending on the
starting point, also they remark that Debian is preferable but not
necessary, and that any Linux will be valid.

When I discovered that Aurox (Polish distribution based on Red Hat /
Fedora, available for several European languages) had a LiveCD as well,
I thought that it could be a solution to have a portable Fedora LiveCD,
in fact there is a LiveDVD:
http://www.aurox.org/en/modules/sections/index.php?
op=viewarticle&artid=22
Choose here a mirror if it fits you;
Not for me, meanwhile its Non-Live versions (purely Fedora Core, and
before Red Hat, and no more no less...) comes with Gnome by default (and
KDE included), this Live version is shipped with KDE and only KDE!
Packages that I wanted (Abi, Gnumeric,...) don't are present. Yes,
OpenOffice does. And...yes, since they don't show any list of packages
included anywhere, I downloaded it...:(

Below here -previous posts- some other distros are mentioned. In short:

Basilisk: Based on Fedora Core, but with KDE as desktop, and for me, it
doesn't fit, since after having a look at the list of packages included,
it lacks all those I am interested in..

Berry Linux: Based on Fedora Core, but with KDE as desktop as well !!
The list of packages is clear..., there is nothing related with Gnome.
Moreover, it is intended for Japanese and English speakers, a bit
detail; mi mother tongue is not either Japanese nor English... and
more...
Maybe silly, but I can't imagine to myself yet into a Fedora system with
KDE running in front of me permanently, sorry, I love Gnome.
Also there is an particular analysis of several LiveCD distros here:
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=9569&page=3
Three pages, the last one with a summary. If we have to believe him, it
is particularly relevant what says about those Fedora-based LiveCDs
(that is, Basilisk and Berry indeed).

More things; There is a LiveCD of Fedora Core 3 here:
ftp://ftp2.tnc.edu.tw/pub2/FedoraCore3-Live/
No much info about this, but they say that it is a specific Far-East
adaptation, this FTP belongs to a Taiwanese University. Latin-based
languages wouldn't be supported.

More strange things: Ubuntu (v. Warty, and now Hoary) is supposed to be
based in Gnome as desktop (since Kubuntu, that was born later, came to
make a Ubuntu with KDE)...well; but the Ubuntu LiveCD is not based in
Gnome! Guess what...! Yeeaahh...

Another one: Gnoppix. Since Knoppix, the first, most popular and well-
known (really great, yes!) LiveCD, runs with KDE as desktop, Gnoppix
appeared with similar purpose (a portable LiveCD based on Debian) but
with Gnome and its packages, in the earlier 0.x versions; later, since
this project is associated in some way with Ubuntu, its development and
releases have been speeding up, improving surely, but they have removed
some packages, just those ones I was interested in! Why? They are an
important part of Gnome, and they are very active and healthy ?! Who
understands?

I don't know the Adios project (mentioned in the previous post), but
that LiveCD, AFAI-'ve seen into its website, it is almost exclusively
intended to Networking Tools & practises of that kind, Tech
students,...nothing to do with a Desktop System.

Despite all, the Gnome-LiveCD exist, built from the Gnome Project
people, this link talks where to find it:
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.10/
I've just downloaded it -yesterday- and only could say that:
It is based in Ubuntu, v.?
It stops its load (not exactly "hangs") at some point in my old
computer, although I've no tried into another yet. I've plaid with the
typical boot options (noapic, nolapic, acpi=off, etc...but not luck at
the moment. Really, this don't worry me...)
Maybe this would be a good option for those who want a LiveCd with
Gnome, but maybe wouldn't if you just want the OpenOffice pack, I don't
know yet which packages comes into it.

This last one I'll mention now, maybe will be only useful for Spanish
speakers, comes with the only one language ES, I've discovered it in the
last days, it seems to be an Open Source, free adaptation intended for
company management (as they said at its website; BTW, they explain not
too much...), based upon Ubuntu (must be in fashion!) and the
Metadistros project to build it...its name: Admelix, here:
http://www.admelix.org/
For me, the most important thing is that it is really based in Gnome,
comes with lots of office's packages, and of course..., Abi, Gnumeric,
and others...Works, simply works; It is not a Fedora-based, since the
first moment you notice that that is Debian, but Gnome is also great
there!

Summarizing, what I emphasize after this "kind of review", and for my
tastes and especially needs:

*Prebuilts Gnome-based LiveCD's:
Morphix-HeavyGUI (Gnome)
Gnome-LiveCD (hope it will work in other computers)
Admelix (only for ES language)

*Completely my self-Customized LiveCD's:
Really, I don't consider seriously that possibility, at least until I
have more time and knowledge forward ...
But I'd know where to start...

Hope this info can help anyone, it took me some time in the last 7 days,
since I was interested, for another but similar reasons, into find a
unexistent Fedora LiveCD first (Fedora, my usual distro), then something
that look liked it, and finally (when things became "row" ) simply a
LiveCD with a entire or at least decent Gnome as desktop.

Cheers