Re: Printer

Jerry Russell wrote:
I'm giving up on trying to get my Brother MFC3820CN printer to work thru
Samba. The print que sends the file but the Samba machine doesn't print
it. The 3820 is NOT in the Linux list so I tried about every Brother
driver with no avail. I guess I'll buy a printer for the Linux Machine.
Now my question what is the best one to use. I want a color printer,
perferably an InkJet type ?

I recently bought an Epson printer. It works fine, but the documentation on the CD is absolutely useless.

It's HTML, with links in lower case. I was trying to read it on my powerbook yesterday, an all the links are broken because the filenames are uppercase.

The contenders were HP and Epson. I chose Epson because it has separate cartridges for each colour whereas all the HP printers I could find had one black, and one colour cartridge.

I avoided Canon because Canon doesn't help the OSS community, and using Canon printers with Linux (or OS/2 as I used to) is an uncertain proposition.

Someone from HP assured me that all current and near future products with with Linux. Possibly, you will want the hpoj and hpij software, even for straight printers (as the LJ 1300).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait