Re: How do I enable nightly yum?

Rick Stevens wrote:

I would have thought a daily (or rather nightly) cron job
running "yum -y update" would be what most people would want,
at least on a desktop.

Yes, that's one way.  Don't forget to do "yum -y update >/dev/null 2>&1"
unless you want mail sent to root everytime it runs.

I think running yum to automatically update your is a particularly effective way of getting your system screwed without you knowing why,

Diverting all the output to /dev/null compounds the problem because it discards some of the evidence.

How likely is it that a particular update is broken?
	Quite low, but not impossible.
How likely is it that there will be a serious problem with an updated?
	Almost certain.

There has been a recent kernel update providing a kernel that does not work on some systems. On mine, it would not shut down cleanly so I was forced to cycle power (no reset button) to reboot. Others had problems booting. Worse, the new-kernel policy is the latest-installed is the default.

glibc and rpm both have the ability to bork the entire system.

I have no problem with running a tool to download updates regularly, but I _will not_ apply them automatically. I do it manually so that then I know something's changed.

up2date has the ability to download and _not_ apply updates: I did that on taroon beta.
apt-get has the ability to download and _not_ apply updates. I do that on my several Debian systems.

yum has not this ability and so IMV is ill-suited to the task of maintaining one's software where automation is desired.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait