Re: Fedora Core brevity vs server upgrades

William Hooper wrote:
John Summerfied wrote:

William Hooper wrote:

It's not obvious that yum exists, either.  I would guess that the
inexperienced user would be hitting the flashing red !.

Likely. I then tried up2date commandline (acually, I know about that). I don't recall now my objections to that.

Up2date uses the same mirror list.

It was more than that; if that was the problem up2date would win every time - I can use a cronjob to keep its local repository current.

[snip]

A default selection based on time zone would work for many people. I
select "Australia/Perth" and that self-same selection should give me
WAIX-connected mirrors plus Optus and Telstra to choose from. Or for yum
to roll around.

You just got done complaining that the Australian mirrors aren't in the
mirror list.

Isn't it part of the same problem? If I were Jason (the bloke who administers PlanetMirror) I'd not want it on the list as it stands now because PM only serves Australia.

OTOH, PM does mirror Debian. I presume the sigficant difference is that Debian allows even the inexpert to choose by location, such as Australia/Perth.

Of course, it could all be a communication problem that I'm reading too much into, but were I administrator of PM, I would not want my site listed. Or, I'd firewall off PM from the rest of the world and the Fedora people wouldn't list me because there'd be too many breakages.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait