Aliases Question

The /etc/aliases file has a lot of aliases in it that are set there by default. Are all of them necessary? In particular, I don't want to erase any of the aliases that are used by various programs on the server. I've looked on the net for a summary of these aliases, but to no avail Can someone let me know where I can find this or perhaps enlighten me on which aliases are necessary for the system?

Thanks!
Corey