Re: Playing DVDs using totem?

Others in list have reported sucess with Totem. You
just need certain packages and it will work. If I
remember correctly something like gstreamer???? and
other plugins will make it work.

What I was trying to say, was that I already tried this, and it still won't play my DVDs..

[ ... ]

Sorry to add to tbe discussion, but I have a few
remarks to add, I have both xine, and MPlayer on my
pcs and I don't have any problems. Most Dvd's play
without a hiccup.

How do you define "most"?

There are the frontends for xine http://xinehq.de/index.php/download
I can't complain about the frontend for xine the
xine-ui might not be the best but it works!

To install xine I obtain the rpms from http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/.
I follow almost all the instructions there. you can
get RealPlayer and install the w32codecs to play
windows media/quicktime and other formats.

As for MPlayer, you can install kplayer which is a
nice frontend for MPlayer.

I have no complains as both players work for me and as
far as ogle is concerned, it never worked for me. I
tried it in Mandrake, and Fedora Core 2 and 3 and it
did not work. They say it is real good, but it never
worked for me. So I can't rate it.

Really? My experience has been exactly the opposite. Ogle has generally worked, but I've had all sorts of problems with the others - especiall mplayer. I've mainly tested it on network streams etc., though, and for those it will generally crash, hang or just give me a black screen at some point during the playback. As for DVDs, I think that when I tried a while back, I had a hard time finding out how exactly to tell mplayer it what to play - DVD menu support was non-existant. Right now, it won't display anything except the initial blue screen if I select "Open DVD". It then crashes as I right-click on the video window. That's with the Gtk frontend, and using mplayerhq's own packages.

I did get some problems with Ogle right now, though, after upgrading all the libdvd stuff etc. in an attempt to get the other players to work. I'm investing the issue...

- Toralf