Creative Mouse "Notebook Optical" not working properly.

I think I'll try this one again, as it seems like I gave an inadequate description when mentioning the problem earlier - so people drew wrong conclusions about it all:

I'm having problems with a mouse of type "Creative Mouse Notebook Optical" on my Fedora Core 3 system. Most features, including the scroll wheel, work just fine, but middle button clicks are not registered properly. Now, I said that earlier, too, but what I forgot to mention was:

  1. The problem is *not* that 3-button and/or wheel mice in general
     don't work on the system; I used to have a Logitech "wheel"
     variant, and middle click worked just fine on that - until it
     decided to break down fully. And I've tried other models in the
     past, too.
  2. Middle click is *not* disabled through 3-button emulation or
     anything like that. xorg.conf has
     Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
     - or at least it did originally - I've temporary changed it as a
     workaround.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

- Toralf