Re: Fedora Core brevity vs server upgrades

William Hooper wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 08:32, William Hooper wrote:

Update lists mirrors; it seems that Yum downloads a fresh list each
time (yuck, I'd rather see the list in an rpm that's updated as
needed), so that should be a quick fix. Once a mirror fixes its
problems, relist it.

Does yum pick a mirror at random now?

It is configured to do that be default now, yes.

Ouch - that is very cache-unfriendly.

It is much, much more mirror friendly, though.

It's hopeless. Mirrors that only serve their country or smaller geographic region are excluded. Such as Planetmirror, Australia's larget, AARNET that serves Australia's education community, WAIX that serves select Western Australian IAPs (those who contribute) along with eqquivalents in other Australian states.

Enzed has Enzed-only mirrors too.

It's hopeless. I'm on dialup, There is no possibility of my well-configured Squid caching stuff, and there is too much to realistically download stuff multiple times.

In contrast, Debian uses several of Australia's mirrors, with no drama at all.

For folk in my position, apt-get has an option to print the URIs for required packages. Its not good for "the average user" but itbeats not having the capability.I don't see a way of doing that with yum.

My laptop, I update at work. For home, _I_ could set a local repository, but that is not a good general solution. It's only one a geek would think good.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait