Re: USB 2.0 - External hard disk

Srinivasan S wrote:
Hi

My system is a P4/2.8HT, ASUS P4P800VM mobo, 512MB running XP and FC3 dual boot.

I connected an external 40gb seagate hardisk (2 partitions ext3 and NTFS) via USB 2.0 enclosure under xp and was copying large files (around 700 MB each) to NTFS when I got a delayed write error.  On google found thousands of people having same trouble and no known workable solution yet.  It looked like a windoze issue.

I then booted FC3 and tried copying files to the ext3 partition.  Surprisingly simliar error occured and the copy stopped.  Harddisk was also unmounted.  Surprisingly common behaviour on both os.

QUestion : Is this a common problem also under FC3 (linux itself ?) and how to resolve. The only way I found a consistently workable soln (stupid soln in fact) was to connect the casing via USB 1.1 hub to the pc. Slows it down but consistently works.

I've had no problem copying files (including CD and maybe DVD images) to/from my USB2 laptop drive either on Debian or FC3.

It may be that your problem pertains to your particular hardware.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait