From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Paul Howarth
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 9:33 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Fedora on the second disk

Gu, John A. (US SSA) wrote:
> I put the Fedora on the second disk, hdb in addition to my RedHat 8 on

> hda. I would like to make the lilo selectable. But when I choose the
> Fedora, the screen shows "LI". (I can see hdb using fdisk if boot from

> hda). Please help on my lilo.conf.
>

> prompt
> timeout=50
> default=rh8
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> restricted
> message=/boot/message
> lba32
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14
>       label=rh8
>       read-only
>       initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-14.img
>       append="root=/dev/hda3"
> other=/dev/hdb
>       label=Fedora

What boot loader option did you use when installing Fedora?

No boot loader, or install grub on root or boot partition?

The latter is the right choice to have made, and you'll need to specify
the actual partition for the Fedora root or /boot partition in your
lilo.conf file (e.g. /dev/hdb1), not the entire disk (/dev/hdb) as you
have it at the moment.

If you did not install a boot loader at all, you'll need to install one,

e.g. by booting from the rescue CD and installing grub, or by re-running

the installation. Adding the Fedora kernel/initrd to your lilo.conf
manually is not a good idea because you'll need to make frequent manual
changes due to the frequency of kernel updates.

Paul.