Re: Fedora on the second disk

Gu, John A. (US SSA) wrote:
I put the Fedora on the second disk, hdb in addition to my RedHat 8 on hda. I would like to make the lilo selectable. But when I choose the Fedora, the screen shows “LI”. (I can see hdb using fdisk if boot from hda). Please help on my lilo.conf.

prompt
timeout=50
default=rh8
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
restricted
message=/boot/message
lba32

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14
      label=rh8
      read-only
      initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-14.img
      append="root=/dev/hda3"
other=/dev/hdb
      label=Fedora

What boot loader option did you use when installing Fedora?

No boot loader, or install grub on root or boot partition?

The latter is the right choice to have made, and you'll need to specify the actual partition for the Fedora root or /boot partition in your lilo.conf file (e.g. /dev/hdb1), not the entire disk (/dev/hdb) as you have it at the moment.

If you did not install a boot loader at all, you'll need to install one, e.g. by booting from the rescue CD and installing grub, or by re-running the installation. Adding the Fedora kernel/initrd to your lilo.conf manually is not a good idea because you'll need to make frequent manual changes due to the frequency of kernel updates.

Paul.