Re: FC3 shutdown error with vmware

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 15:59 +1000, Yuandan Zhang wrote:
Hi,

I have FC3 on HPnx5000 with vmware workstation 4.5.0. When I shutdown
the PC, it repeats an error message, in fact, endless,

The error message starts after killall process activated
Here is the error:

unregister_netdevice:  waiting for vmnet1 to become free Usage Count =  1

The error is endless, I have to press i/o button to hard shutdown.

How to fix it?

Yuandan,

I had the same problem. For some reason some of the initscript soft
links weren't installed. Check to see if you have them all:

# cd /etc/rc0.d  (also rc1.d ... rc6.d)
# ls -l *vm*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 23 Mar 20 03:28 K08vmware -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/vmware

You should have K08vmware links in all rcX.d subdirectories except rc5.d
where you should have a link named S90vmware.

Hope this helps...

The recent any.any patches solve the symlink problem, but that may or may not help. Some people reported that it solved the shutdown problem for them, others that it did not. I don't think I ever solved the problem reliably until I installed the VMware v.5 beta. I've since upgraded to the production VMware v.5 and the problem has not recurred since I left v.4.5 behind. So far, v.5 works a treat.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu