Re: Problem with system-config-bind

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 18:42 -0400, Debbie Deutsch wrote:
> I have upgraded my system from Redhat 9 to Fedora Core 3.  Previously I was
> serving my own domain, no problems.  Now that is not working.  The problem
> seems to be in the configuration.
>
> 1. There is a new named.config file that was installed during the upgrade.
> The old config file was nicely saved under another name.
> 2. The original zone information in /var/named appears to be unchanged, but
> it is not being recognized by Bind, probably because the new named.config
> file does not reference my zone file.  I have attempted to use
> system-config-bind while logged in as root to fix this.
>
> - while using the tool, adding a record for the zone causes all the original
> records for the zone to be recognized.  However, I can't successfully save
> the updated config file due to an error, "AttributeError: NS instance has no
> attribute 'owner'.
> - I have also tried renaming the original zone file and recreating it from
> scratch using the system-config-bind tool, but the same error occurs.
> - In both instances the nameserver record attempts to designate a host named
> like this - ns.mydomain.com - to serve mydomain.com.  The hostname
> ns.mydomain.com is an alias for mydomain.com.  Also, I have left the little
> box to the left of "mydomain.com" blank in the nameserver record window
> because I want the server to serve all of mydomain.com.
>
> 3. The version numbers for system-config-tool and the online help for
> system-config-tool match, but the dialogue windows shown in the tool and in
> the documentation for creating a new forward master zone do not.  Alas, the
> tool's help documentation says nothing about creating a nameserver record.
>
> Any suggestions for troubleshooting this? Should I simply resort to editing
> named.config by hand to point to my zone file?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Debbie
>
> P.S. My system ran happily with Redhat 9 for almost 2 years, and yes I am
> the person who configured it originally.  I am very comfortable around
> computers, but no expert when it comes to Linux configuration.  So, don't
> hold back, but don't assume I know all the ins and outs of Linux
> administration.  I may be overlooking something very basic here.
---
ls -l /var/named

are all the files owned by named:named ?

I would probably edit the new /etc/named.conf file by hand and include
the 'existing' zone files.

Have you updated FC-3 all the way?

also beware - depending upon method used to update...

cat /etc/sysconfig/named

you might be running named in a chroot environment which would have
named put its files not in
/var/named
but rather
/var/named/chroot/var/named