I solved it the Microsoft way, was Re: ethernet not working

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, bryan hepworth wrote:
> bh quoted mh:
> > > there.  I thought I'd seen a red FAILED message
> > > whiz by with something like ethernet in it.
> > >
> > > I'm at a loss.  Even if I find the corresponding
> > > log message, I expect it wouldn't tell me how to fix it.
> > > How-tos rarely tell how to fix something after one thinks
> > > he did it right, but it still doesn't work.
> > > Can anyone point me to one that does?
>
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, bryan hepworth wrote:
> > What ethernet card is it?
>
> I think that the following lpsci output applies to my machine.
> 02:0c.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 78)
>         Subsystem: Dell Computer Corporation: Unknown device 010d
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
>         I/O ports at ec80 [size=128]
>         Memory at fe1ffc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128]
>         Expansion ROM at fe200000 [disabled] [size=128K]
>         Capabilities: <available only to root>
> I forgot to right some important things down.
> The output is actually from its brother, on which I am not root.

I installed from scratch again.
This time I didn't tell it to use DHCP
and all was right with the world.

Now why the mistake with DHCP would screw things up so bad
that I had to reinstall to talk to the outside world is beyond me.

I wasted two days trying to find anything else to do.

--
Mike   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES.  *I* ONLY TURN UP ONCE."  --  Death