how to auto-change wireless settings

All;

I routinely connect to several wireless networks. Here's the steps I take
today:
1) I run "iwlist eth1 scanning"
This gives me the settings for the wireless channels around me (I really only
need the channel)

2) I go to Kmenu-->System Settings-->Network
I input the root password when prompted then I select the wireless device
(eth1) and I change the wireless channel to the channel I want. Then I save
the changes and "activate" the wireless interface

This works fine however I'm thinking there has to be a better way. I have the
wireless settings set to "Auto" for the SSID but I always have to change the
channel.

Is there a way to either tell the wireless to just search for a local wireless
AND use the settings it finds
or - is there a command line method I can use to change the channel. I've run
iwconfig like this "iwconfig eth1 channel 6" but it doesn't work.

Any Ideas?