Re: Networking with other PC

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 13:29 +0200, dev.loop@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On 4/27/05, Manivannan. M <manikpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Is there anything wrong in putting a prefix "RE"
> > usually letters or emails had this in front of a subject.

I think that a point the OP missed is that messages are threaded by
means of a (usually hidden) message header line, not the Subject: line.
So when you reply to a message, even if you change the Subject line,
your message will be displayed in the same thread as the message you
reply to. Which is not what you want if you are raising a new point.

> The prefix "RE" is used as an abbreviation for "Reply".
> A reply can only be made, if there has been a message earlier, that
> you are replying to.

I always heard that RE was shorthand for "In Reference To" or
"concerning".

> Since you started a new thread, it`s definitely not a reply to someone
> elses messages. Thus, the prefix "RE" is inappropriate.

Same comment, no matter exactly what RE means.

--
Graham Campbell <gc1111@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>