Re: To Change Screen Resolution

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Cornette" <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2005 9:50 PM
Subject: Re: To Change Screen Resolution

Manivannan. M wrote:
On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 07:11 -0500, akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 07:24:49PM +0800, Manivannan. M wrote:

Hi,

I need to resize my monitor resolution to make the icons appear small.
In the "preference" >> "screen resolution" I can only see 800 X 600 with
60 Hz. The other one is with 640 X 480 which is even worst.

Can anyone help me with this.

Thanks

I suspect you are seeing only the resolutions that are currently in the xorg.conf file. You could edit the file and restart X. Or you could go to init level 3 and use system-config-display to configure the xorg for the resolution you want. Then return to init level 5. This assumes you have FC2 or FC3. If you have FC1 respond back for a slightly different answer. --

I'm wearing PAMPERS!!
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.
San Antonio, TX 78212-7200

telephone: (210)-999-7484
email:akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

Step by step guide on how to go about doing it would be very helpfull. I
am using FC3 and a newbie. Please help !

Thanks

If you want to use the tools that come with Fedora, go to system settings and then the display choice. You will be asked for the root (admin) password to launch the program.
Once the program comes up, you will have displayed what your video card and your monitor is selected as.
If your video card is recognized properly, it will display what type of card you are using. If so, the display selection could be your problem.
Go to the hardware tab and click on the display button. If you have an LCD or if you have a CRT type display, select the appropriate choice. When you click either selection, it should expand to show different resolutions. Choose the resolution that the display is capable of. 1024x768 or whatever the monitor can handle.
After you complete this process and save the choices that you made, these screen resolutions should now be avaiilasble under preferences -->> Screen Resolution.

With the first program, you might need to restart X. Close all active programs, then zap the server with ctl-alt-backspace. This should restart the login manager with the new resolutions available.
The second step under Prefrences -->> Screen Resolution will need to be done after performing the System Settings -->> Display portion and zapping the server for display manager to restart.

I hope this helps. The other method involves setting the line in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with an editor. You could add additional resolutions with an editor into the display section of the file. the excerpt looks similar to the below.

Jim

Sample from my generated xorg.conf using the display choice. (system-config-display)

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
                Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection

--
We are the people our parents warned us about.