Re: Security issues with online gaming

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 15:01:02 -0500,
> Even if you leave the port open (someone correct me if I'm mistaken)
> so long as there is no server on the other side of that port, you
> are not vulnerable to anything. Nothing runs on the port other than
> the game and if it's not on, what is there to exploit? (Again
> someone check me real good if I"m mistaken in this or not)

You need to be a little careful about this. You want to have some
confidence that nothing else will grab that port, so that some service
you expected to only be accessible locally is accessible remotely.

It is probably a good idea to restrict what IP addresses can connect to
the game server, on the theory that security isn't of high importance
to game companies.