RE: yum -update

bruce wrote:

> apparently 'yum update' does try to do an update of the rpms/packages that
> it determines need to be updated, based upon the yum.conf files... i'm
> still not sure how good a job it does in this area...
>
> my question was if yum looked through it's list, would it actually clean
> up any discrepancies that it found? upgradiing to FC3 fro the FC3 iso cds
> has got me in this situation...

To repeat myself,
I would be very surprised if "yum update"
caused yum to study discrepancies in packages already installed.

To start with, it would cause trouble
if yum really replaced any files you had changed.

Also "rpm -Va" takes a very long time to finish, at least on my system,
while "yum update" does its work in a fraction of the time.

As far as I know, "yum update" simply checks in the repositories
in /etc/yum.repos.d/ that are not disabled
and sees if it finds more recent versions of any packages
than those in /var/log/rpmpkgs .

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366