Re: How to reference dynamic IP with named DNS

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 15:27 +1000, Neil Dugan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a local network with a couple of server computers setup with
> static IP addresses.  I also have 2 computers with dynamic IP addresses
> gotten though DHCP.  Using 'named' as a DNS I can access the 2 server
> computers via names.  But I haven't been able to figure out how to be
> able to access the computers with dynamic IP address via a name.  I can
> access them fine with there IP address.
>
> Regards
> Neil

Hi,

Yes I know I am replying to my own post.
The reason I was having so much trouble was that the connecting
computers where not sending a 'host name' when they where getting the
DHCP config. data. I needed to put the following lines at the head of
the '/etc/dhcpd.conf' file.

ddns-hostname = pick (option fqdn.hostname, option host-name, concat
("dhcp-", binary-to-ascii (16, 8, "-", substring(hardware,1,6))));
option host-name = config-option server.ddns-hostname;

This creates a default name based on the MAC address for any computer
trying to connect that doesn't supply a name.

Regards Neil