Re: Proper way to install new kernel 2.6.11.7 into Fedora Core 3

--- Temlakos <temlakos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
> > Antonio Olivares wrote:
> >
> >> Dear all,
> >>    I was afraid to update to a newer kernel with
> all
> >> the messages that the system won't boot but I am
> >> taking a risk.  I have downloaded
> 2.6.11.7.tar.bz2 and
> >> extracted it.  I read the README and have done
> the
> >> following:
> >> make mrproper
> >> make xconfig
> >> make dep
> >> make clean
> >> make bzImage
> >>
> >> What else do i need to do?  I am still running
> >> 2.6.9-1.667.  I need to manually edit
> /boot/grub.conf
> >> to put the new kernel.
> >> What advice can you give me?
> >>
> >> Do I need to do a modules install? or something
> like
> >> that.
> >>
> >> I appreciate all the help that you can provide.
> >

> > You don't need the "make dep" or "make clean"
> steps with 2.6 kernels.
> > Simply:
> >
> >     make mproper
> >     make xconfig
> >     make bzImage
> >     make modules
> >     make modules_install
> >     make install
> >
> > That should do it all for you.  Double check your
> /boot/grub/grub.conf
> > file to verify that the new kernel got installed.
> >
> > Of course, why don't you just "yum update kernel"
> and use the
> > precompiled binary 2.6.11 kernel for FC3 from the
> official repositories?
>
> I can't speak for Antonio; maybe he has plunged into
> Fedora and hasn't
> mastered the rpm and yum commands. (/I/ still have
> trouble with them,
> sometimes.) But I have heard that compiling from
> source gives you an
> application, or a kernel, optimized for your machine
> in a way no binary
> can match. Is that true? If it is, then those
> instructions will prove
> very valuable.
I agree with that part(But I have heard that compiling
from
> source gives you an
> application, or a kernel, optimized for your machine
> in a way no binary
> can match.).  I have Mplayer-1.0pre7 installed via
by compiling and xine with rpm.  I do know how to work
out dependencies and I can resolve most of the
problems but they say that a compiled kernel will work
better than the stock kernel provided by Fedora on our
machines.  I also want to learn more about linux and
compiling the kernel.