Re: Proper way to install new kernel 2.6.11.7 into Fedora Core 3

--- Rick Stevens <rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >    I was afraid to update to a newer kernel with
> all
> > the messages that the system won't boot but I am
> > taking a risk.  I have downloaded 2.6.11.7.tar.bz2
> and
> > extracted it.  I read the README and have done the
> > following:
> > make mrproper
> > make xconfig
> > make dep
> > make clean
> > make bzImage
> >
> > What else do i need to do?  I am still running
> > 2.6.9-1.667.  I need to manually edit
> /boot/grub.conf
> > to put the new kernel.
> >
> > What advice can you give me?
> >
> > Do I need to do a modules install? or something
> like
> > that.
> >
> > I appreciate all the help that you can provide.
>
> You don't need the "make dep" or "make clean" steps
> with 2.6 kernels.
> Simply:
>
> 	make mproper
> 	make xconfig
> 	make bzImage
> 	make modules
> 	make modules_install
> 	make install
>
> That should do it all for you.  Double check your
> /boot/grub/grub.conf
> file to verify that the new kernel got installed.
>
> Of course, why don't you just "yum update kernel"
> and use the
> precompiled binary 2.6.11 kernel for FC3 from the
> official repositories?
Because I want to learn about working with the kernel
on my own and get more experience.  I have been using
linux for the past 3 years and have always used the
default kernel and I want to take that step.

Thank you for your kindness,

Antonio

P.S.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.