Re: ETHERNET-ADSL MODEM CONNECTION

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 20:00 +0800, Manivannan. M wrote:
> Friends,
>
> Just bought an ADSL Ethernet modem & tried to run the wizard to setup,
> couldn't get connected. Can someone help me with this.
>
> And also how to check whether my lan card & modem working/detected in
> order to get it right in the first place.
>
> Thanks !
> --

Please post in text not HTML if possible from Outlook Express.

First, do you have link between the modem and the ethernet port.  There
should be LEDs on both the modem and near the port on your PC.

Next, in the "wizard" enable DHCP.  Then activate the interface.  If all
goes well then in a terminal type ifconfig -a.  This should show all
network interfaces.  If your modem is on eth0 it should have an IP
address in whatever the default subnet is for the modem.  Mine (a
Westell) was 192.168.1.x.  At this point, you should be able to ping the
modem's IP address.

>From there, you'll have to find the particulars from your provider as to
PPPoE or PPPoATM and set the modem up accordingly.  Mine has a web
interface for that.

If none of that gets you talking to the modem then try the DSL path
through the wizard.

Some info about the modem would be helpful, too.

Bob...