Re: Setting up a Backup Mail Server

Am Di, den 19.04.2005 schrieb Reuben D. Budiardja um 19:06:

> Cool. Thank you for the pointer. I have to do more reading, but from first
> glance, I guess the idea would be to use this milter on the backup MX server.
> So for example, I would install milter-bcc to the backup MX server so that
> any mail in the queue is bcc-ed to my other mail account (which would be sent
> directly if the other mail account server is responding). Am I anywhere
> close?

> RDB

The milters do not care for queued mails. milters intercept with all
mail passing through Sendmail by (E)SMTP. And after looking myself at

http://www.milter.info/milter-bcc/index.shtml

once again it is clear that this simple milter is able to distinguish
between different domain mail addresses. So it should perfectly fit for
your needs.

In addition I suggest to have a look at

http://www.milter.info/milter-ahead/index.shtml

to be able to reject all mail coming in on the backup MX for the primary
where the recipient addresses are not valid (99% spam, besides address
mistyping by senders). You will avoid much traffic and mail processing
this way. Else your postmaster account will quickly be filled with
masses of undeliverable crap.
As David already pointed out, today spammers regularly take the MX host
with less priority as very often those secondary or tertiary servers
lack the anti spam mechanism and protection the primary MX host normally
has.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 20:20:17 up 7 days, 17:00, load average: 0.61, 0.38, 0.15