Re: multimedia licensing

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 20:03 -0600, kwhiskers wrote:
> Just last night I tried once again to make a nice desktop wallpaper
> uing Gimp. Once again, I couldn't get the damn thing to do what I
> wanted. I wanted a very simple picture with two oval holes cut out and
> two other images inserted behind. I must have tried for half the
> evening, to no avail. In Corel Photopaint I had it done in about an
> hour. I am not a graphic artist and barely know how to use these
> programs, but I know the basics to get what I need done, more or less.
> So, I guess I'm stuck with PhotoPaint for a while... That's why I
> bought vmware. Talk about a costly dependence LOL
----
I guess I don't understand - I have been using GIMP 2.2 the last couple
of days and it was awesome. The interface is extremely similar to
Photoshop so perhaps that is your problem - you are used to Corel
Photopaint and it mimics Adobe Photoshop
----

> It seems a lot of the office junk that gets sent around at work is in
> Powerpoint format: cuddly kittens and cute puppies with endearing
> quotes underneath. Still, it bugs me that I can't view them using
> Linux apps (sometimes I want to steal a picture from one of the
> plates, or something). And that's just it: I would like to not use M$
> apps, since I already have alternate tools, but they just don't always
> work when I need them.
----
Most of them open for me - you might want to install Microsoft's True
Type fonts for compatibility

Craig