Re: Accessing SQL Server

Richard Crawford wrote:
> Philip A. Chapman wrote:
>

>>I created a java based application that is similar to Query Analyzer that
>>connect to Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and newer (among other database
>>variants).
>>
>>http://pcsw.us/projects/dbbrowser
>

> Philip,
>
> Got it up and running (after the standard two hours or so trying to get Java
> to work), but, sadly, it won't connect to our MS-SQL Server.  We're running
> SQL Server 7, but the only drivers I've been able to find are for SQL Server
> 2000.

The jtds driver supports SQL Server 6.5 and better.  To use it rather
than Microsoft's driver, select the "MSSQL Server 2000" provider.  On
the "Database Connection Parameters", unselect "Use Microsoft Driver".
I haven't tested it since version 0.5.1.  However, because of this
email, I took a few minutes to look at the newest version. It seems to
work much better.

Download the latest version of the jtds driver from
http://jtds.sourceforge.net and store the .jar in the jdbc directory of
the DBBrowser's install path.  Then, either delete or change the
extension of jtds-0.5.1.jar.

Once I've finished some other changes and do some testing, I'll try to
get a new release out there that uses jtds by default rather than
Microsoft's.  I'll get to change the provider name to indicate that
DBBrowser supports versions prior to 2000.  That's great!

If I can help you any futher, let me know.

--
Philip A. Chapman

Application Development:
Java, Visual Basic (MCP), PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL
Linux, Windows 9x, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP