Re: Loading bttv module at boot?

Success, of a sort!

First, I backed up my /boot/initrd file the following command.

cp /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.14_FC3.img /root

I ran the following command to create a new initrd image file.

/sbin/mkinitrd --with=bttv --with=tuner initrd-2.6.11-1.14_FC3.img /
2.6.11-1.14_FC3

This created an initrd that correctly loads the bttv and tuner modules
at system startup.

A recap:
<<
kudzu finds the tv card as new hardware and offers to configure it.

kudzu is allowed to configure the new hardware

after completing the boot process the new hardware does not have modules
installed

after subsequent reboots the system still will not load the driver
modules

While I do not believe that kudzu creates a new init ramdisk each time a
new piece of hardware is installed, this was the only way I could get
the modules to load.

Not being an expert, I feel the problem might be a flaky card, as during
the modprobe of the bttv module the eeprom reports the tuner as type 28
and according to source tuner docs this is a PAL tuner and I know that
it is an NTSC tuner and therefore have to add the option tuner=39 to
make it work correctly.

I have, in the last five years, installed many new pieces of hardware
and I have never looked at the initrd after to see if it changed.  But
the modprobe.conf or modules.conf always worked.

That has been my experience so far.

John