Re: IDE disk problem

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 01:24 +0300, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> Special Care is needed in case
> the Cable Select is alone . At that point am not certain that the
> Controller can replace
> the Cable Select setting with "Single".

Should not be a problem, I have machines here that have a single drive
configured as cable select and have had no problems.

> By the way this very disk ( 160 GB WD ) was originally
> shipped to me as
> Cable Select , probably because the shop didn't new  my hard disk
> configuration and
> so it had the most "compatible" position .

More likely it's because the drive manufacturers know that the big PC
manufacturers are shipping machines configured for Cable Select
operation. Most end users can simply plug the new drive into a fairly
recent PC (say 5 years old or newer) and never have to worry about the
jumper settings.

--
Brian Gaynor
www.pmccorp.com