Hotplug SCSI disks + FC3 (2nd try)

I'm still flailing around trying to understand why hotplugging
my SCSI disks doesnt work. 2.6.10 kernel, and the disks are seen
OK after a system boot. However any disks which are plugged
in with the system running, dont seem to generate any hotplug
activity (checked by modifying /bin/hotplug script to write to
a file when it runs).

Should hotplugging SCSI disks work with 2.6.10 kernel?
If not, can anyone suggest how I might make the system see
the new disks without rebooting? I've tried kudzu with no
success (should *that* have worked?)

Is there some other way to force a SCSI-bus scan?
(I see ../drivers/scsi/scsi_scan.c in the kernel source)

Thanks,
Terry.