Re: Help Needed in several areas -- FTP

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 23:02, Tim Holmes wrote:
> Ok -- First off -- Thanks to all who helped me getting samba working --
> it works perfectly and is very little effort to administer, and through
> the help of one of our graduates, I got NFS up and running tonight so I
> am sharing home directories across the network -- also very nice
>

> In the course of our discussion of SAMBA someone suggested that I am
> actually doing a disservice to our students by allowing them to post
> files to their web sites over samba shares, and that I should actually
> make them do it via FTP because that is much more likely how they will
> be doing it.
>
> After some consideration, I have reached the following conclusion, I
> will have my Front Page class (8th graders) using FTP, and the 9th Grade
> class (Dreamweaver) using direct file transfers.
>
> Now comes the problem
>
> --  How to make ftp work right for this scenario.  I have previously
> installed PROFTPD on the webserver, and have been using it for just
> myself for remote access for website work etc.  When I login, I must
> supply the full path to the proper folder (not a big deal for me)
> (totally confusing for an 8th grader)
>
> I am open to ditching proftpd if necessary, and going to some other form
> if that's better, but I need some direction in where to go.  I have
> discovered that the PROFTPD config file is similar to apache, but im a
> bit lost on how to achieve what I want.  Ideally, the users would be
> able to authenticate against the Active Directory, but if not they could
> have a separate username and password within PROFTPD.
>
> I need your help and suggestions on this

Tim,

I have not use Proftp, but some suggestions:

Setup a user on the machine hosting the PROFTP etc which does not have a
login shell (to stop then doing anything by connecting directly to the
machine) and the home directory is the root directory of the Web sever
you need to upload the web ages to.

ISTR that PROFTP has the option of CHROOTing the users to there home
directory. You may need to play around with the permissions to get it
right.

When this user ftp's to te server they are locked to the 'home'
directory and cannot go outside of it and any directories below.

There are several Howto's on doing this if you do a Goggle search.

Rob