Re: Help Needed in several areas -- FTP

Ok -- First off -- Thanks to all who helped me getting samba working --
it works perfectly and is very little effort to administer, and through
the help of one of our graduates, I got NFS up and running tonight so I
am sharing home directories across the network -- also very nice

In the course of our discussion of SAMBA someone suggested that I am
actually doing a disservice to our students by allowing them to post
files to their web sites over samba shares, and that I should actually
make them do it via FTP because that is much more likely how they will
be doing it.

After some consideration, I have reached the following conclusion, I
will have my Front Page class (8th graders) using FTP, and the 9th Grade
class (Dreamweaver) using direct file transfers.

Now comes the problem

--  How to make ftp work right for this scenario.  I have previously
installed PROFTPD on the webserver, and have been using it for just
myself for remote access for website work etc.  When I login, I must
supply the full path to the proper folder (not a big deal for me)
(totally confusing for an 8th grader)

I am open to ditching proftpd if necessary, and going to some other form
if that's better, but I need some direction in where to go.  I have
discovered that the PROFTPD config file is similar to apache, but im a
bit lost on how to achieve what I want.  Ideally, the users would be
able to authenticate against the Active Directory, but if not they could
have a separate username and password within PROFTPD.

I need your help and suggestions on this

Tim Holmes

IT Manager / Webmaster
Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...