Re: FC3 keeps on giving problems

Andy Green wrote:
John Hodrien wrote:

| Much easier to just use another linux machine as an NFS server.  Make an
| NFS
| export, just lob the iso images in a directory, and the installer
| handles the
| rest.

It's true, but I don't like the idea of NFS on my network.  I have used
it for network boot, but it required no root squash in that scenario and
it made me uncomfortable.  For network boot I managed to replace it with
NBD instead which exports a single "filesystem file" from the server,
can do so as an unprivileged user, and is anyway faster.  I don't mind
having to fiddle with a webserver instead of having NFS.

An NFS server for FC3 installs doesn't need any fancy options though and the export can be done read-only. It also doesn't need any loopback mounting or other extraction of the ISO contents, which makes it a bit easier to set up and to use.

On the other hand, if you do extract (or symlink to) the packages from the loopback-mounted ISO images, and serve them out via HTTP, it takes very little extra effort to set up a local yum repository using those extracted packages, which is very handy if you have a bunch of machines to maintain and occasionally need to install extra packages.

Paul.