Re: How to upgarde versions through apt/yum - possible ?

Kam Leo wrote:

On Apr 5, 2005 9:50 AM, Rick Lim <ricklim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of David Curry
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 7:46 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: How to upgarde versions through apt/yum - possible ?

Parameshwara Bhat wrote:

Hello All,

Is it possible to upgrade versions using apt / yum ? I use synaptic
and  when I 'refresh', only packages for the present version are
listed.  However I have desisted the idea of setting higher version in
repositories  list as upgrading might be lot more than just installing
newer version rpms

Parameshwara Bhat

I understand your question about "upgrading" as asking about changing
from one Fedora Core distribution to another as in FC2 --> FC3.   If
that is the case, you may be able to find something through Google that
describes a procedure for upgrading a system through an ftp conection.
Upgrading through synaptic might work, but I don't think
synaptic/yum/up2date are designed to do that.

I am no expert, but I think downloading the isos for the later
distribution you are interested in and then choosing the upgrade option
for installation would likely be a safer route than trying to do it
through synaptic.  Since "upgrade" is offered as an installation
option,  the task was anticipated and designed into the installation
program (anaconda).

FWIW