Re: Boot hangs after snort initialization

Paul Howarth wrote:

Mark Sargent wrote:

my boot hangs after snort is initialized. The last line shown after the snort initialization message is Enabling swap space OK and then a continually blinking cursor below it. Nothing is reported in either /var/log/boot.log or /var/log/messages. Cheers.

The boot will be hanging because you're not running snort in daemon mode. Though I'm surprised the "hang" is so early in the boot process, given that you're running snort from rc.local, which is right at the end of the boot process. Are you booting with "rhgb quiet" as boot parameters in grub.conf?

Paul.

Hi All,

something weird. Now, I don't get anything from snort at boot. Here is how I came about this. I, today, changed this,
/usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth0 -g snort to this
/usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth0 -Dg snort

and with not seeing anything relating to snort at boot, and it not running after the FC3 is loaded. I checked with ps -auxwww | grep snort,
I went and removed the D option, just to see if it were trying to load, with the errors, like b4, at bootup. It's not. Now, I haven't made any other changes here. Still, if I type snort in the cli, it starts fine. What's happening here..? Cheers.

Mark Sargent.